Top these with the classic salt, or cheese and japaneos for more of a kick. Make sure to roll these out more than you think, when they rise in the oven they may end up more like bagels if you don't roll them thin enough.
- 1 1/2 cups Water (warm)
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 packet Yeast
- 4 1/2 cups Flour (all-purpose)
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- 1/3 cup Baking Soda
- 2 Eggs
- In a bowl, mix the water, salt and sugar. Add yeast and let rest for 5 minutes until the yeast starts to foam
- Add the flour and 2 tablesppons of oil. Mix until a dough forms.
- Remove the dough and use the other tablespoon of oil to grease the bowl.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm place for 1 hour. With 15 minutes left, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Cut the dough into 8 pieces and roll them into thin ropes (1/2 inch or thinner). Twist them into the desired pretzel shape.
- Add the baking soda to a large pot of boiling water and boil each pretzel for 30 seconds on each side.
- Transfer the pretzels to a baking sheet, brush with egg wash, and add your desired toppings! Classic: salt. Spicy: Cheddar cheese and japaneo slices.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.